Frugal moms also prepare healthy meals from unhealthy recipes as follows:
Use healthy substitutions to reduce calories, fat and salt amounts in home recipes. It also increases your food’s nutritional content.
- Enriched pasta with whole-wheat pasta to increase fiber content
- Whole milk with fat-free milk to prepare desserts to reduce fat and calories by up to 7 grams and 60 calories per cup, respectively.
- Poultry, meat and fish with vegetables to increase minerals, fiber and vitamins content and reduce fat and calories.
- Cut back on ingredients such as condiments, toppings and cheese
- Alter your techniques for preparing food and cooking
Consider the following for healthy meals:
- Use nonstick cookware
- Baste veggies and meat in fruit juice, wine, fat-free vegetable broth or vegetable juice in small quantities instead of oil.
- Adopt healthy cooking techniques such as broiling, braising, poaching, grilling, steaming and sautéing.
- Reduce food portion size to further reduce fat, sugar or salt per serving. Control your portions and plan ahead for family eat outs.